Friday, December 16, 2011

Shameless

Shameless TV show.  Pretty funny, but not the topic of this blog.
    
     This week I've been learning about repentance, which has been blowing my mind.  Up to this point, I have really thought of repentance as an action-- the steps I take to get rid of the guilty feeling I have about my sin.  I am so much more comfortable when I have a list set out of things I can do to improve myself.  I have really had to take a step back to think about how warped my perception is. 
     As one who is very prone to fall into self-pity, it is easy for me to mistake my guilt for repentance, to confuse my shame with a real turning toward God.  When I complain to God about what a wretched individual I am, I really think I'm doing the right thing.  It really is quite the opposite. The root of my shame and self-loathing is the disappointment that I am not as morally good as I would like-- that my perception of myself is not where I would like it to be.  It is truly a self-centered sorrow, focused on how I've grieved and let down myself, instead of how I've grieved my God.  The shame can eat away at me, and I struggle to find ways to make myself right before God. 
    Why don't I have the simple faith to believe that I'm already right before God?  My futile actions to redeem myself actually make a mockery of the cross.  Of course I am a mess-- I'm prideful and doubtful, and hateful and lustful.  But the one thing that I refuse to notice in myself is my shameful reliance on myself.  2 Corinth. 7:9,10 puts things well:
"I am happy, not b/c you were made sorry, but b/c your sorrow led you to repentance.  For you became sorrowful as God intended...Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret..."
     I love self-improvement.  I think a lot of people in today's culture do too. We just have to remember what this focus says about our faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment