Monday, July 16, 2012

The Start of Things


         I am finally settled into my new home in Mundri, South Sudan!  Sorry for the delay, but internet service has been pretty spotty with all of this rainy weather we've been having. (Gmail is not very responsive, so I apologize if I've failed to reply to any of your emails!)  It is the rainy season in South Sudan now, which means the grass is green and lush, the air is cool, and the showers feel uncomfortably cold (which I am enjoying now, while it lasts!)  These past couple of days have almost felt like my orientation at JMU, as I am introduced to a new town, to my living quarters, and as I ask questions about anything and everything.  I find myself feeling guilty over needing help with the simplest of tasks, like making coffee or adjusting the seat of my new bike.  However, my teammates have been so gracious to take me step by step through each process.  I look forward to when these things become second nature to me.
     Tomorrow begins my first day of teaching my new pupils, Gaby and Liana.  It has been such a blessing to finally meet them in person, experience their personalities, and talk to them about their feelings toward school.  I am ready for the comforting constancy of daily school life, and they are, as well. In hindsight, I would have brought more decorations for my classroom--- the room is HUGE!  I've tried to spruce it up with a few hand-made posters, but the walls still look quite bare.  I'm going to have Gaby and Liana add some of their own art to the room, so I'm sure that will give it more personality.
    Sorry, I'm not able to post any photos online today.  The internet is too slow.  I'll be sure to take some of my teammates in the next couple of days.  We are having an Olympic-themed birthday party for Liana, in which we represent a country and compete in various events.  There will also be an "exhibition"performed by each of the teams.  I'm still trying to brainstorm what I have to contribute to that.  (Perhaps some dance moves?...)

Thanks for your prayers!  The Lord has been good to bless me with good health and much peace during these initial days in Africa.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome! WE rejoice that you are there. Will pray for these weeks of adjustment, that God would wipe every tear and bless every loss you feel, and give you some memorable fun times. Like the Bday party, the Massos are the best at those!!

    ReplyDelete