Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Part of the Promise



South Sudan Team, Fall, 2012!


     The past two weeks comprised my team’s covenant renewal retreat, held in various parts of Kampala, Uganda.  During this time we discussed the vision of our team, what each individual’s role is, and how we can work together as humble and loving stewards.  Of course we did all of this in the setting of lovely Uganda, taking time to jog through the hilly streets, climb high ropes in the treetops, boat on Lake Victoria, and lounge beside the scenic pool. The past two weeks have felt more like play than work; however, that was the intention, given that missionaries can quickly become overwhelmed with their tasks on the field.  The needs that we face in Africa each day are great, and it is easy to become discouraged, wondering if we are doing anything worthwhile.  It is also easy to start doubting God’s plan when we don’t see the fruit that we would like to see when we want to see it.  I’ll admit that in my human pride I can think I have a better plan for my Moru friends than the Lord has.  I struggle to see God’s faithfulness toward many groups of people in this part of the world.

     I was very grateful to hear truth from God’s word through Pastor Michael Howell during the retreat.  He taught from the book of Joshua, focusing on God’s promises to us and how we are designed for His purpose each day.  If I think my job here in S. Sudan is difficult, I can’t even imagine having the task that was placed on Joshua’s shoulders.  He had to take on Moses’ job of guiding the Israelites to the Promised Land.  He had to lead the people out of Jericho, past the king’s army, and through the River Jordan.  The book reiterates God’s promises throughout the story, as an impetus for Joshua’s action.  Joshua realizes that the work of the Lord isn’t founded on the skilled decisions of man, but on His solid promises.  If God had been faithful to Moses, He would continue to be faithful to the Israelites—and so Joshua acts.   

     I think that’s where it all starts to fall apart for me. I’ve heard Biblical stories of God’s goodness since I was a child, but it is difficult for me to connect that God with the God of today.  I somehow feel like the game has changed, and God works differently with me. Throughout the week I was convicted of my lack of conviction.  When do I ever act boldly after hearing strong testimony (like the brave Rahab did)?  When do I think back on God’s goodness to Abraham and Joseph and Moses and become “strong and courageous”?  When do I even think back on God’s goodness in just the past week?

     God has called me to be a part of His exciting work on Earth—what a joy to be a part of that!  I can either trust in His covenant and commit to that work—or not.  Regardless of what I do, God’s promises will come to fruition; but why wouldn’t I want to be a part of the excitement that comes with God’s power being manifest in the farthest reaches of the globe? 

     The Israelites who died just after reaching the Promised Land were buried in that very region they sought after so fervently.  My first reaction is to feel disappointed for those who didn’t get to enjoy life on their new land, after all their hard work and journeying.  Pastor Mike, however, gave a different perspective, reminding us that “their tombstones were monuments to the faithfulness of God.”  I wonder if I will ever have the faith to really view tombstones as monuments of faithfulness.  Until then, I will continue to look for those little stones in my life, the ones on the other side of the stormy seas in my life, the ones that speak of God’s power, goodness, and faithfulness here on earth.  

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Joshua 1:9 

No comments:

Post a Comment