Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Dance On


source: anyaadores.blogspot.com

John and I are going to the Academy of Music to see Carmina Burana this week.
This opera will combine the dancing skills of the Pennsylvania Ballet with the musical skills of the company's singers and musicians (performing Stravinsky's violin concerto).  I can't wait!  The ballet is one of my favorite forms of art-- there's something about the athleticism of it and the intensity of those who practice it.  I could never have that sort of determination!  The pairing of strength and beauty is a sight to behold.  Here is the Penn. Ballet rehearsing for the upcoming show:






I like watching ballerinas rehearse even more that I enjoy seeing the final performance.  (Maybe I get a bit nervous for them out there under those lights.)  I enjoy those off-stage moments of deep reflection, as they push back the worries of the day-- classroom dysfunction and arguments with fellow dancers, finding a way to pay rent, planning the upcoming holiday weekend in New York-- all thought of with the count of eight beating interminably in the background.

Photo: Cornel Capa





source: bellebelledejour







Brigitte Bardot at practice



photo: Andrej Uspenski


Let them praise His name with dancing, and make music to him with tambourine and harp.
-
Psalm 149:3



George Balanchine Dance
  

No comments:

Post a Comment