Thursday, August 14, 2014

Explaining an End: The Ugly

THE UGLY

-My own insecurity:  I was reminded on this trip of the devastating intensity of my own self-doubt.  I knew my confidence would be a little shaky going back to Mundri, given that I was denied another term on the mission field.  However, I didn't think it would have had such a paralyzing effect on me.  Again, I let my mind bully myself into submission, as I sat back and tried to stay out of the way of the "real workers and change makers" on the team.  I doubted any idea I had and was fearful of going out into the community.  I'm reasonable enough to know that I only have my own idols to blame for this.  I obsess way too much over appearing competent and successful that it sets me up for failure, wherever I'm working.  This trip back to Mundri was a good reminder of the necessity of relying on my Father's strength and wisdom to carry me through life.

-Idle Youth:  Just like in America, when the youth in Africa have nothing to do, they resort to trouble.  Unfortunately, in South Sudan, almost all of the teens are bored.  Rejecting the agrarian lifestyle of their parents, many teens hope to become tech experts or business people, setting their eyes on Juba.  However, Juba is not a likely option when the money is simply not there.  So the adolescents remain in Mundri.  And they find less than stellar ways to amuse themselves.  Sadly, for our team, we have had to deal with good friends and neighbors lying and stealing from us.  Now that the trust is lost, it will be difficult to regain it any time soon.  I am continuing to pray that these dear ones and their peers will be drawn towards opportunities for fellowship and enjoyment, through the church and through local sports teams.  I am praying that some bold Sudanese women will receive the call to start up a club for girls, teaching them craftmaking and baking.  Above all, I pray that these teens will know they are loved unconditionally, and this love will melt their hearts for the greater good of the country.              


Motorcycle maintenance in town

No comments:

Post a Comment