Monday, August 22, 2011

Changes for Jennifer

If my life was a part of the American Girl book series, then the events of the past couple of months would have to comprise the first few chapters of the Changes for... book.  This is the book in which the main "American girl" takes the steps to follow her convictions, even if they lead her to new and unfamiliar territory.  Granted, in these stories, the girl is about 11 years old and she is usually just moving to a new town with her nuclear family.  Her changes consist of attending a new school, or providing moral support for her father in his new career choice.  My changes may seem a bit more jarring, but they have been on my mind for as long as I can remember.  I have always wanted to do work overseas-- not work that pays me, but work in which I simply rely on the provision of God.  In my doubting heart, I need these experiences to demonstrate time and time again who is really in control of things.  I feel blessed to finally have the opportunity to experience this as a missionary.

In January of 2012, I will hopefully be on a plane heading to Mundri, South Sudan.  There, I will be joining a team who has been there for several years.  I am excited to be joining this group of people, who, as I have observed through various blog readings, seem to be an energetic and fun group of people (they have a penchant for themed parties, which makes me VERY happy).  Along with agricutural and water projects, this team focuses on education.  They are working on strengthening a system that has been broken by civil war and a lack of rescources.  The team assists the Sudanese teachers in the area by providing workshops, giving them educational support, and helping renovate school buildings.  My future teammates also make their spiritual prescence known, by teaching at the local theological colleges and by fellowshiping with their neighbors.  The Anglican church has a strong prescence in Mundri, so the WHM missionaries partner with them to set plans into action. 

I am super-excited, not only to work with the Sudanese teachers in building a stronger education system, but also to meet the kids who I will be tutoring.  I can't wait to get to know their personalities and gain insight from individuals who have spent their whole lives in Africa.  I'm sure I will learn a lot from them. 

As exciting as this future is, it will not come to fruition by me just sitting and daydreaming.  There is much to be done in terms of financial planning and support raising.  Much of my blog postings within the next few months will be focused on the ups and downs of asking people for money-- something that is very counter-cultural and difficult to do.  It should be an interesting time, as I am living back home with mom and dad in the good old West End of Richmond.  I am no longer a full time English teacher.  Actually, right now I do not even have a job, as I am looking for something that is part time and less committal while I work on heading overseas.  Changes, indeed; however, I am embracing them.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment