Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Running and Jumping

     God is gracious to work mightily in spite of my human tendencies.  This whole season of living with my parents, raising support, and facing numerous unknowns has made me become easily discouraged and fall into self-pity.  No matter how many times the Lord shows that He defines me and determines my future, I eventually become neurotic and move frantically to steer myself to a deceived sense of success and self-worth.  Given the ups and downs of this transition time, my level self- esteem has been as unpredictable and as unstable as the May weather.   Luckily, I have had encouragement from various corners of my life.

    I attended the Sudanese worship service at West End Presbyterian Church the other day.  What an encouragement!   I always head to this service with trepidation, wondering if I seem too different to everyone there, too odd to converse with, as my Arabic is close to nil and I haven't even been to South Sudan.  As usual, the congregation there welcomed me with open arms, eagerly asking me to speak about the ministry in Mundri.  I gave them an update and then spoke a short sentence in my poor Juba Arabic.  They all proceeded to cheer and clap! No cold stares or judgement from this group.  Pastor Shangwok Deng opened the service by saying that if we arrived at church dragging our feet, he hoped that the Lord would have us leaving the church running and jumping for joy.  Everyone spoke out in happy agreement.  The message preached at this fellowship is always so bold in faith, so joyful in suffering.  The people of Sudan convict me and encourage me every week to come to the Lord with every request I have-- thereby giving more opportunity to testify to the work of His mighty hand.

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.  Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.  Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.
Be dilligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress.  Watch your life and doctrine closely.  Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers."
-1 Timothy 4:12-16

     That same evening, the Lord refreshed me by giving me the chance to hear my friend Nate play with the Jonathan Vassar Family Singers.  They played old gospel songs, ones that remind you of town socials and front porch swinging on summer evenings in Appalachia.  Just watching the enthusiasm and nostalgia radiating from the crowd was enough to keep me entertained!  Kevin, the WEPC pastor who helped set up the gig, made the comparison of this style of music to that of traditional Sudanese worship music.  It made sense-- both have similar harmonies and canons and both focus on the theme of freedom.  These songs put a new joy in your heart, as you reflect on new life in Christ.  It was a good reminder that no matter what is going on in my tangled up mind, all is well with my soul because of Jesus.  




No comments:

Post a Comment