Monday, September 24, 2012

Kotobi Teachers' College



Recently, the Lord has blessed me with the chance to work at a nearby teachers’ college.  Called the Kotobi Institute for Teaching Education (KITE), it was founded only a few years ago with the help of the Mundri Relief and Development Association (MRDA) and some generous outside donors.  The campus consists of teachers’ and students’ living quarters, a dining hall, and about 8 large school rooms.  World Harvest has been involved with the college through part time teaching of the students here.  Ever since I arrived in Mundri, I’ve been yearning to get involved.  God has been good to open doors for me to teach there on Fridays. (One open door being the ability to drive stick shift!!) 

This past Friday was my first day in the classroom.  The students and other professors were all extremely gracious towards me, as I wrote with my scribbly handwriting and spoke with my incomprehensibly fast English.  This particular day, I simply reviewed the parts of speech and gave examples of common grammatical mistakes.  The students eagerly listened to my examples and had many insightful questions themselves.  It reminded me of how inconsistent the English language can be and how dependent we English speakers are on the context and on our own cultural experiences.  It is always a joy to teach grammar, but I’m happy to say that I will be focusing on literary elements next month.  Plot, theme, symbolism, and metaphor, here I come!

What makes me even more excited about teaching literature is teaching it to teachers, modeling for them ways to make reading fun and interactive in their own future classrooms.  I understand that many of the popular American teaching methods are not practical in an African setting, but I’m eager to pull out a few fun “tools” from my proverbial teacher’s toolbox.  Next week, the 95 students at Kotobi will begin their student teaching placements at various primary schools in Mundri.  I’m so excited to be working with them through this process, as my own student teaching experience (with all of its stress and excitement) is still fresh in my memory.  I may even get a chance to observe them in the classroom, making note of their strengths and weaknesses as teachers.  It is extremely humbling to think that I may soon be observing other teachers, when I feel that I have so much to improve on as a teacher.  I just have to hold to the truth that God uses all everyone, regardless of his/her abilities, to work for good according to His purpose.

After morning classes, the professors and Melissa and I met together to eat a delicious meal of savory stew, greens, and rice, while discussing our frustrations with education.  We both vented over teacher pay, high teacher turnover rate, and disrespect with students.  However, the main concern was over the future of S. Sudanese education, when the government spends the majority of its money on its military endeavors (also a relatable issue in America).  Whatever small amount is left over ends up getting eaten by corrupt, high-ranking officials.  The government is three months behind in paying its teachers, while community development organizations like MRDA have no money left.  Wisdom and Justin, two of the head masters at KITE, expressed their worry over the future of the teachers’ college.  They are beginning to send their KITE students out into the community to fundraise, literally going from compound to compound asking for money.  They hope that these newly acquired funds can go towards a revenue-generating project that can sustain the campus for years to come.

It would be easy to become overwhelmed by the obstacles facing educators in S. Sudan.  Poverty and corruption really are a way of life here.  However, God has been giving me small glimpses of hope in my time here in Mundri.  South Sudan’s independence has given its people a renewed sense of ownership in their education.  Many young leaders are stepping up and looking for effective ways to bless their communities—and they are doing it with the joy and zeal that comes from the Holy Spirit.


Side Note: Melissa and I have been brainstorming ways to bless KITE this Christmas.  We will either set up a way to donate to the college or we will collect books for the school’s library.  Stay posted for updates on that.   

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.” -John 10:14,15

No comments:

Post a Comment