Saturday, September 1, 2012

Road Trip!




Last week, teammate John and I decided to pick up the rest of the team as they finished up their African holiday and landed in Juba.  It was a welcomed chance to get out of town and run errands that were overdue.  John needed to get various building supplies for youth ministry and water projects—I needed to assist in the purchasing of food items that could only be found in Juba.  A road trip!  I was overjoyed, and yet cautious to make the trek.

Juba has always been like the Emerald City to me—a mysterious place of opportunity, but a destination that I cannot decide will be worth the journey.  I’ve worried about the potential for disappointment upon seeing South Sudan’s capital city (it’s no Kampala or Nairobi).  I’ve also worried about the stress of being in a foreign city.  Will it overwhelm me, as I have already been feeling culture shock in Mundri; or will it be a welcomed break from “country living,” as I get to experience fast-moving vehicles and the indulgences that come from a more urban and Western lifestyle?  I found that my experience in Juba was an interesting mix of both.

We woke before the sun came up to make the six-hour drive to the capital city.  Although Juba is only about 130 miles away, the dirt roads are composed of nothing but extreme dips, potholes, and impassable mud pits.  At one point, we reached a muddy zone that had halted almost a dozen cargo trucks.  All the workers were camped out for the day and they watched us as we fearfully wiggled our Toyota up onto the elevated outskirts of the road.  It was a close call, but God was good to get us through it!  Another obstacle arrived at the Yei River.  The bridge was in disrepair, so no vehicles could cross; however, there was always the option of driving through the river.  John and I watched as others went before us, and then he steadily drove us through the rapids.  (Another moment of intense prayer that God got us through)

I was elated to arrive in Juba city, watching the horizon grow from a few dotted lines to clusters of markets, restaurants, and businesses.  The adrenaline started to pump as the options around me increased.  I could look for decorations for the schoolhouse here!  I could buy furniture! More important—I could eat what I wanted! Pizza! Salad! Naan bread! Sweet and sour chicken!  I don’t even like Chinese food, but I was excited to eat some (and experience the rarity of Chinese-African culture). It was encouraging to see so many successful businesses, so many people of various professions.  I’ve always loved the diversity found in the city, and Juba city was no exception.  Many different languages could be heard there and people dressed anywhere from tribal to professional to club-friendly.  Of course, just like any other city, traveling around in the car was a great source of anxiety for my neurotic self.  Michael, Heidi, and John (the few brave enough to drive through the chaotic roundabouts and around the reckless boda-boda taxis) were excellent navigators and were gracious to ignore my incessant gasping and words of caution.

The greatest source of relief for me was being in the company of my teammates, who I had missed the previous two weeks. Their personalities, their laughter, their stories, were a joy to have in my life again, and I looked forward to the upcoming season, working with my rejuvenated team.  We drove all over the city, getting supplies and continuing discussions on World Harvest work.  Of course, our time in the “big city” wasn’t without some relaxation.  We went to Ebony, a restaurant of beautifully thatched verandas and stone patios that was placed on the edge of the Nile.  We ate crocodile kebabs and fresh pizza by the riverside, and we played improv. and trivia games until well after dark. 

The following day, we went to an Indian restaurant before heading home.  It was a blessing to nourish my body with fresh vegetables and garlic naan.  After cramming all of our luggage and bodies into the vehicle, we hit the bumpy road ahead of us.  And more games and songs ensued for the next six hours. 



And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.  Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the day approaching. –Heb. 10:24,25

No comments:

Post a Comment